- 1 lb. bulk Jimmy Dean Hot Sausage
- ¼ tsp. dry basil
- 1 tbls chopped onion
- 6 hard boiled eggs, shelled
- ½ cup flour
- 2 beaten eggs
- ½ cup crushed saltines
- ½ cup panko crumbs
- Vegetable oil
- Put 6 eggs in pan of water covered with water. Bring water to a boil. Turn off eggs. Let eggs rest in the hot for 12 minutes. Remove eggs from water and cool 10 minutes before peeling.
- Combine sausage, basil and onion and mix well. Divide into 6 portions.
- Flatten each sausage patty. Mold the sausage around the egg to completely wrap the egg.
- Roll the sausage eggs in flour. Shake off excess.
- Dip in beaten eggs.
- Mix panko and saltines. Roll eggs in crumbs. Tip: Refrigerate eggs while the oil heats.
- Heat 3 inches of vegetable oil in saucepan until medium high.
Tip: Drop a crumb in oil to be sure the oil is hot enough to fry quickly.
- Carefully lower 2 or 3 eggs into heated oil.
- Fry until eggs are browned and the sausage is cooked about 4 minutes.
- Remove eggs from oil and fry the remainder of the eggs.
- Cool 2 minutes and cut each egg into 6 wedges.