Makes 6 to 7 dozen
- 1 1/2 cups butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup dark-grade maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 4 teaspoons ginger
- 1/2 cup sugar plus 1 tablespoon cinnamon for rolling
- Cream the butter and sugar together.
- Whisk in the syrup and eggs.
- Sift together the dry ingredients (except sugar and cinnamon for rolling) and add to the egg mixture.
- Chill batter well.
- Roll into balls approximately 1″ in diameter.
- Roll balls in mixture of sugar and cinnamon and place 2″ apart on greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven, let rest for 1 minute, then remove to rack.
Note: For a smaller batch of cookies, recipe may be halved, or half of dough may be wrapped and frozen for later use.