- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup leeks, cleaned and chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger root
- 1/4 cup flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 16-ounce can pumpkin
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Melt the butter in a large stockpot.
- Add leeks, onion, ginger, and ginger root. Cook 10 minutes.
- Add flour and cook 2 minutes.
- Stir in chicken broth and cider.
- Stir in pumpkin, syrup, bay leaves, cinnamon, thyme, pepper, and cloves.
- Cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- Discard bay leaves.
- Work in batches to puree the soup in the blender.
- Return the soup to the stockpot and add cream and vanilla.
- Heat over low heat until heated through and flavors have blended.
Menus are flexible. If you would like to have a gluten free, low fat, or heart healthy menu, please let Vicki know at check-in so arrangements can be made.